Friday, September 12, 2008

Melmo boobie leeze

My great-grandma Smith was Scottish and had such a thick Scottish accent, she should have had sub-titles. She'd ask me and my brother a question and we'd stand there smiling at her until my mom would interrupt with a reply saying "yes, Jenny's 7 now". Sweet woman, but I never understood anything she said to me.

Now I'm the interpreter.

I once told my mom how funny it was when mom's had to interpret what their kids were saying and I now find myself in that roll. Carley will say to me "Melmo boobie leeze" and I know what she's really saying is "Elmo movie please." The word "no" and "milk" are the same sounds, as are "pacifier" and "water" so as you can see she does require a bit of interpretation and frankly, a lot of guesswork. Before I know it, "melmo boobie" will be replaced with "OMG, IROFLAO" and someone will have then have to interpret her for me. Mom?