Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hello, my name is Jennifer Bonstein

And that's what someone is going to be saying if my license ends up in the wrong hands. I've lost my driver's license.

On my lunch hour yesterday I decided to go to Barnes and Noble and do a little Christmas shopping. As I reached into my wallet to pull out my debit card to pay, I noticed my debit card wasn't there. Okay, okay, no need to freak out. I probably bought something and put it back in hastily. So I get out my checkbook and write a check for the amount - after asking if they even take checks. On a side note, it won't be long before checks are obsolete and no one takes them anymore. The fact that I had to even ask if they take checks is a perfect example why.

Anyway...I hand over my check and the clerk asks for my identification. Um, so where's my license? Is freaking out allowed now? Yup. And I did. I never take my license out of my wallet, but I thought maybe Carley was playing with it and took it out so I dug out every card I had in every pocket in my wallet. Nothing.

There's a line of people behind me, the clerk is staring at me and I'm freaking out - yet, I still need to pay for my books and show some sort of identification. So, I pull out my Costco card (not good enough), I flashed my I.D. badge from work (still no good, and I think the clerk was starting to think I was a little insane) and finally I pull out my Sudden Valley member card (still no good).

I was finally able to provide my license number and leave the store, but where is my license you ask? I. DON'T. KNOW!

The only thing I can think of is that it fell out of my wallet when I was paying for either lunch or clothes in Seattle last week. That's the last time I had it. So, if it fell out and some unscrupulous person picks it up, soon there will be 2 Jennifer Bonsteins and one of them is probably going to start getting credit cards and opening checking accounts with no money (can you tell I deal with a lot of identity theft at work?)

I now have the task of obtaining a new license, which really isn't as easy as one might think. You have to provide strange things in order to get a new license and report yours as stolen. To prove your identity, believe it or not, a Passport does NOT qualify as one of the items they want to see. I have to show them a utility bill, or a mortgage statement or a medical insurance payment. And the hardest part? I have to try to have a good hair day today. So you know that means it'll look like crap.

Well, off to the DMV I go...