Monday, December 22, 2008

Domestic Diva

When you're forced to stay home, you find ways of entertaining yourself. Today I decided I'd try to be Martha Stewart and make playdough. Here's your domestic diva at work.


Carley, being only 22 months, likes to eat stuff so I knew that I needed a recipe that was:

1) non-toxic
2) able to be made with the things found in my house.

I had once found a recipe for Kool-Aid playdough, and while cleaning out a cupboard last night (remember..this is our 9th day with snow, and being stuck indoors), I found some packs of Kool-Aid.

I don't even know how long we've had the Kool-Aid. I don't recall ever buying Kool-Aid and I sure don't remember ever drinking it in the last 3 or 4 years, so I'm pretty sure it's very, very old.

I found the recipe again. This is what I used:

What You Need:

  • 1 c flour, sifted
  • 1/2 c salt
  • 3 T cooking oil
  • 1 pkg Koolaid (unsweet)
  • 1 c boiling water
1. Mix to gether flour, salt, oil, and Kool-aid.
2. Add the cup of boiling water. Mix well.
3. Knead the mixture until it forms a soft dough.
4. Have fun!
5. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.

Tips:

  1. Any other unsweetened, powdered drink mix may be substituted.
  2. Expect colored hands :-)
  3. Non-toxic... could be eaten, but won't taste very good.


Carley loved the feel of it, and frankly I was surprised at how it turned out. I thought for sure it'd be sticky and messy.We got a few "tools" and Carley got right to playing like a seasoned pro.


She really enjoyed the playdough and it was a good, new thing to break up our monotonous days here indoors.