Sunday, December 21, 2008

8 days and counting

We started getting snowed on last Saturday - December 13th. It's now December 21st and it is still snowing. I measured the snow on our deck this morning and it came in at a surprisingly low 8 inches. I think, after shoveling the deck, it was because there was a thick layer of snow compacted under all the fresh stuff. And mother nature has seen fit to keep us stocked with fresh snow on a daily basis.

Yesterday it was damn cold. It got down to 7 degrees. Today it felt downright balmy at a hot 28 degrees.
These are stairs down the side of my house.

For a few hours a day, my roof gets some sun and the snow melts, but apparently freezes on the way down.
My enjoyment of this weather is dependent on where I need to go and how easily I can get around in it. Last week, I hated this weather. I was imposing on my parents and had to go to work so my stress levels were high. This week, it's tempered, but I'm starting to wonder (as it continues to snow on our 9th day) if we'll be able to make it out on Christmas Day.

When I wished for a white Christmas, I guess I should have been more specific. Here are some pictures from our winter wonderland....

My neighborhood the other day at sunrise (sorry for the sun spot).


The top of the garbage can, filled with garbage that hasn't been picked up in 9 days. If it continues to snow, it won't get picked up this week either.

Play ground equipment, shows you how much we have. This is standard everywhere.


Snow falling from a free at the neighbors house.



Want to eat outside?


Chris shoveling for the 5th time, I've shoveled twice so far.


For some reason, Carley was doing a dance while daddy shoveled the snow.